Sunday, May 26, 2013

South Charlotte Ramblin Rose Recap

Sunday, May 5 - my 42nd birthday! It dawned overcast and chilly with rain showers in the forecast. What a day for a super sprint tri. My first tri was a Ramblin Rose - women's only event with lots of support and encouragement from lots of bystanders. This event was in a different location. I had driven the bike route the day before so I was at least somewhat familiar with it. A friend from work, Becky, and her friend, Caryn (who wound up being a year ahead of me in nursing school and lived on my floor) were also doing this tri.

Found my spot in transition and got set up...found Becky and Caryn for a few photos. Ready for this thing to start!

The swim was a 200-yd pool swim with an out-and-back in every lane before switching lanes. Oh my goodness - can you say HATE THIS?! It was so crowded, couldn't pass effectively. Wound up breaststroking the whole thing because my face was in the feet of person in front of me otherwise. Yuck!

Fairly strong swim, considering. Quickly out of T1 (for me) and on the bike. Man my legs felt amazing! I was passing people right and left. Before I knew it, I was over halfway done with the 8 mile loop! Whoo Hoo!

On the final legs of the bike ride, I'm thinking, "You'd better save some of those legs for the run. Quit going all out." So I did.

Back into T2 - did not fall getting unclipped - a huge deal for me! Running shoes on and out to the run. Well - most of the run was a trail run - I HATE trail runs. I like pavement. I'm too clumsy to run on a soft, uneven surface. I did run some and walk some, which was better than the White Lake Tri. Unfortunately, I saw people that I passed on the bike course now passing me, BUT I passed them first and they were young, lean, and fit looking, which made me feel better. I know I'm slow as Christmas when running. Ah, the finish line! Finally!

I shaved 11 minutes off my previous Ramblin Rose tri time and was happy with my results overall. Some things I learned:  read the event descriptions carefully. I do not like up and back pool swims. I do not like "trail" runs. I know this now.

I also know that I like the longer distances, like the sprint and hopefully the Olympic :)

Now, I have lots of academic work to do...summer is not "off" contrary to popular belief.

More posts coming later...lots to discuss including a "down" period I had last week, run-walk combos, and motivation...

TTT

No comments:

Post a Comment