Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A lot of catching up to do

So sorry I haven't been on here since I started the blog...intentions were good but life and training got in the way. I so envy my fellow bloggers, Swim Bike Mom and The Heavyweight Runner, who work full-time jobs, are so into their training, AND make the time to keep all of us abreast on their progress almost daily. I endeavor to do better!

So much has happened since I started the blog in January...I hired a coach, Lea, who specializes in nutrition for bariathletes - athletes after bariatric surgery. Our anatomy is so different and our ability to eat certain things varies greatly from the "normal" endurance athlete. When researching how to best fuel for triathlons & long distance runs, the nutrition guidelines out there would NOT work for me. In this research, I came across Lea, who has generously agreed to take me on as her project :)  It honestly is the best thing I could have ever done. I have lost 17 lbs just in the 2 months she has been coaching me. She gives me weekly nutrition plans, helps me figure out what works for me and what doesn't, and also gives me training schedules for the month. Which leads me to my next happening - I completed the White Lake Sprint Triathlon, and actually podiumed! I came in 3rd out of 6 Athenas registered! Now, 3 of those Athenas didn't finish, but hey...I'll take my victories no matter how they come. I'll post a separate race report in another entry.

In the academic world, the semester that had previously just started is now coming to an end with final exams next week! Amazing how quickly the semester just flies by...when you're not the student! Overall, my students have done well this semester in my Nursing Research course, and I'm impressed with their ability to critique research articles. I have enjoyed teaching this content a great deal, but I'm looking forward to a new group of nursing students coming in the fall...I love the excitement of the first semester of nursing school...it's good for my soul. I did finish the manuscript that I was collaborating on and have sent it to the other author...just waiting for her suggested revisions before we send it to the journal. I had intended to submit 2 other manuscripts this semester, but it looks like that will be summer work, along with getting courses ready, AND a huge accreditation report. Our nursing program will be going for candidacy status, which means we will be ready for accreditation spring 2014. Before that, however, we have to write a pretty big report so that the accrediting body can declare us eligible, or ready, for accreditation. That is due at the end of May, so guess what I'll be doing from final exams until May 31? You guessed it, along with setting department goals for the 2013-14 academic year AND collecting data/writing reports about how we meet the university core competencies...a fun month it promises to be :)

I can't believe my first year on "tenure track" is over. I'm having breakfast with my Dean next week to discuss my first year...a little nervous! Maybe I can quickly get a manuscript done in the next week and have it submitted so that I feel a little better, just in case he asks about my progress in scholarship ;) While there is some pressure to do scholarship here at my SLAC, it's nothing like the huge research institutions, thank goodness. I feel I won't have any problem meeting the requirements for tenure here, but I do have to be more organized and write more. I have to do better about not letting time slip up on me. Perhaps if I blog more often, I'll feel more inspired (or coerced by myself) to write...at least that's my hope :)

Thanks for reading/listening, and I'll post more about my sprint tri and what's coming up for me in another post.

TTT

No comments:

Post a Comment